In an effort to provide information and updates to the community about the impact of COVID-19 on the upcoming Fall sports season (and beyond), MCPS Athletics has created a COVID-19 Athletics Information page.
Here are the latest updates from MCPS (most recent update, July 17th).
Brief synopsis: MCPS will continue to operate without any in-person activities until at least August 11, 2020. There will be an update by the end of July with regard to the start of Fall sports, currently scheduled for August 12th. As of July 17th, no information has been released by MCPS with regard to the online registration for Fall sports.
MCPS Athletics Status – Current
Latest Announcement Regarding the Status of MCPS Athletics – July 17, 2020
- MCPS Athletics Update Overview from Dr. Sullivan
- The MPSSAA is currently still moving forward with plans to start the fall season on August 12, 2020.
- MCPS is currently in Phase 1 of the Return to R.A.I.S.E. Strategic Plan, the next update will be released before the end of July 2020.
- Phase 1 of the Return to R.A.I.S.E. Strategic plan will guide operations until further notice, at least through August 11, 2020. No in-person activities, including conditioning, are allowed.
- All sports may be operating in the Lowest Risk: Performing skill-building drills or conditioning at home, alone or with family members, per Phase 1 of the Return to R.A.I.S.E. Strategic Plan.
- All-school virtual conditioning sessions are allowed and all students participating must have submitted the Parent-Student Participation Information and Contract (Summer 2020) and have a current physical on file.
- School coaching staffs may meet virtually regarding sport-specific instruction with up to two returning student-athletes per day, per MPSSAA regulations.
MCPS Athletics Previous Announcements
- July 17, 2020 – Return to R.A.I.S.E. July 17 Update (and Return to R.A.I.S.E. Plan Phase 1)
- July 1, 2020 – Return to R.A.I.S.E. July 1 Update (and Return to R.A.I.S.E. Plan Phase 1)
- June 15, 2020 – Return to R.A.I.S.E. June 15 Update (and Return to R.A.I.S.E. Plan Phase 1)
- May 29, 2020 – Return to R.A.I.S.E. Strategic Plan Phase 1
Information for Student-Athletes and Parents
- Parent-Student Participation Information and Contract (Summer 2020) – This form should be used if student-athletes will participate in optional virtual conditioning, during Phase 1 of the Return to R.A.I.S.E. Strategic Plan.
- Pre-participation Physical Evaluation Form (MCPS Form SR-8 with new MPSSAA COVID-19 supplemental questions) – This form is valid for one year (for high school athletes) and two years (for middle school athletes) from the date of the exam and covers participation for all sports within that time period. This form must be completed and/or on file before a student-athlete can participate. All new physicals as of July 20, 2020 must include the COVID-19 supplemental information.
- Eligibility – the Montgomery County Board of Education took action on academic eligibility for extracurricular activities. The Board approved an exemption to the academic eligibility policy for 4th marking period during the 2019-2020 school year and the first semester for the 2020-2021 school year. Therefore, all secondary students are eligible now and will remain academically eligible for the first and second marking periods of the 2020-2021 school year.
- Information on how to Submit Electronic Signatures from Parents or Guardians for current forms.
Information for Coaches and Athletic Departments
- NFHS Course – COVID-19 for Coaches and Administrators
COVID-19 Task Force for MCPS Athletics
- A task force has been meeting to plan and implement the Return to R.A.I.S.E. Strategic Plan and plan for the safe return of the MCPS athletics program.
- The guiding principles for the task force are:
- Promoting our core values of equity and access to allow for the participation for ALL students.
- Ensuring the gradual, safe return of student-athletes to in-person participation in interscholastic athletic activities.
- Maximizing participation opportunities, including the timely implementation and incremental transition to new phases.
- Providing ongoing communication regarding the current operations of the MCPS Athletics program, in alignment with state and local guidelines, considerations, and recommendations.
- The task force consists of the representation of central athletics unit, athletics specialists (ADs), principals coaches, officials, athletic trainers, transportation, facilities, systemwide safety, extracurricular activities, and fine arts. Recommendations will be shared with MCPS leadership and county health officials for review and approval, to ensure alignment with MCPS and county operational and health guidelines.
Scheduling Athletic Contests for 2020-2021
In planning for a variety of possible scenarios, MCPS Athletics is currently scheduling for the following contingencies in regard to games/contests:
- Regular schedule
- Delayed start to the fall season
- 4-6 week “pod” of contests that could potentially be moved and shifted, as needed throughout the school year
- Only in-county competition
- Most MCPS divisions are geographically based by school location. This shapes up nicely, per CDC guidelines, if we need to only compete in clusters of schools, by sport.
- Preliminary discussion on local-school intramurals
- Virtual engagement opportunities
We will continue to post information and share with the Kennedy community as it becomes available.
Feel free to reach out to Amanda Twele, Athletics Specialist (Director) at Kennedy High School, with any questions.